• The Department endeavors to provide safe drinking water and sanitation facilities to rural habitations on sustainable basis.
• To ensure permanent drinking water security in rural areas.
• To promote conjunctive use of ground water, surface water and rain water harvesting to achieve sustainability.
• To involve rural community in planning and execution of rural water supply schemes and to make the community capable of operation & maintenance of schemes on their own.
• To improve rural hygiene by providing individual toilets and sewerage system.
• To encourage the rural population to properly manage water supply and sanitation facilities to make villages Nirmal Gram.
Besides this, the department has been educating and imparting guidance to the public regarding water quality monitoring and surveillance, create awareness about the water borne diseases and other health hazards caused due to lack of sanitation and open defecation.